Have you ever wanted to assemble a very Austin care package?
My goddaughter just left the state for college, and my mom and I wanted to put together a little something exciting for her to get in the mail. We decided we’d send her a few during the year, so it got me thinking about all the cute things we could include. In truth, I did pick up some cute knee high socks at Target since he’s in a cooler climate, but I also wanted to send her a few things to remind her of home.
Whether you are sending some love long distance to your favorite college student, sending a virtual hug to a kid at camp or assembling a package for some former Austinites, here are 20 ideas to make it a little easier on you:
- an Austin magnet from Prima Dora
- Texas Longhorn soap from Mama Says Wash
- a few kids small bags of Cornucopia Popcorn
- a pair of Mitscoots socks
- Salt Lick barbeque sauce (available at H-E-B) – just make sure you put it in a Ziploc and wrap it in bubble wrap!
- an Austin t-shirt from Parts and Labour
- a candle from the Burlap Bag
- a guitar spatula from Wild About Music
- a stone heart from Tesoros Trading Company
- Baked by Amy’s Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix
- Texas cookie cutter from BookPeople
- a CD (yes, they do still make these) of a local artist from Waterloo Records (they also carry lots of other cute small things to go in a package)
- snack packages of austiNuts dry roasted nuts (I’ve seen these at H-E-B)
- Austin mug from Austin photographer David Melancon
- Confituras jam from Breed & Company
- an Austin City Limits Festival pullover (fall is coming!)
- an Austin dish towel or pillow cover from ATown
- Texas Milk Chocolate Candy Bar from Lammes
- a bat stuffed animal from Callahan’s
- Kerbey Lane pancake mix (can find it at H-E-B)
- Coasters from South Austin Gallery
- A copy of the cookbook Austin Breakfast Tacos: The Story of the Most Important Taco of the Day
What would you include in your Austin care package?