It’s nearly time for the Trail of Lights! This Austin holiday tradition will return for its 49th year on Sunday, December 8 and continue through Sunday, December 22, 2013, from 7 – 10 p.m. each evening. Admission to the Trail of Lights is free.
The Trail of Lights was launched as “Yule Fest” in 1965 and was rebranded as the Trail of Lights in 1992. After budget cuts forced its cancellation in 2009, a collaborative partnership between the City of Austin, the RunTex Foundation, corporate sponsors and community leaders restored the iconic celebration in 2012. The 2012 event drew an estimated 400,000 people over eight nights, an increase of 150,000 people over the previous record high.
“The 2013 Trail of Lights will celebrate the sights, sounds, tastes and fun that define the Austin experience for two full weeks in December at Zilker Park,” said Mario Espinoza, Trail of Lights Foundation board chair. “By returning to the event’s original timeframe, we are making it easier for everyone in Austin to plan a night out to see the lights, create holiday memories and celebrate all they love about our community.”
The 2013 Trail of Lights will offer exciting holiday activities for all ages along the 1.25-mile trail, including some new additions:
- More than 30 lighted displays, highlighting favorite holiday characters and Austin icons
- Expanded dining areas featuring the diverse tastes of Austin’s finest food trailers
- Entertainment from a variety of local, regional and national performers
- Family-friendly activities, including holiday photo opportunities, crafts, and of course, a visit with Santa
- A hospitality area for company and group parties
- A merchandise area for shopping
- Opportunities throughout the trail to donate to local charities
- New and improved parking, shuttles and traffic management
Note: If you were planning on attending the Trail of Lights Preview Party this Friday, December 6, 2013, it has been postponed due to the threat of inclement weather. Weather forecasts show a severe inclement weather front hitting the Austin area on Thursday, December 5th and lasting through the morning of Saturday December 7th. To ensure the safety and experience for Trail of Lights guests, we will have postponed the event to a “Wrap Party” on Sunday, December 22nd. Ray Benson will still be at the helm for this “Wrap Party” with special benefits and perks available to Preview Party ticket holders to create a special evening.