The Weekenders: Top Picks for Families in Austin January 12-13, 2013
Saturday, January 12, 2013:
- Silly Storytime at BookPeople- OK, young jokesters, this storytime is for you! Come join us in BookKids this morning for some super silly stories that will leave you rolling on the floor laughing! We’ll read Ducks Don’t Wear Socks along with other hilarious tales to tickle your funny bone! Don’t be late for a fun morning of jokes, giggles and goofiness!
Where: BookPeople, 603 N. Lamar Blvd.
- AMOA Second Saturday for Families- Every second Saturday of the month, AMOA-Arthouse offers hands-on art making workshops at Laguna Gloria, inspired by the exhibitions on view. Join us between 11am-3pm to see family-friendly performances, meet local artists, and make art to take home. Recommended for ages 2-11. This month’s theme is: DRIPPY MONSTERS! Bring your own shape-shifting creature to life using colorful ink and a straw! Create outrageous monster art using artist Ann Tarantino’s ink-blowing method, then check out the artist’s work in the gallery, where she blew paint directly onto the walls of the Driscoll Villa.
Cost: $5 member families // $10 non-member families
Sunday, January 13, 2013:
- Poncili Company & Jawbone Puppet Theater’s Magic Puppet Show Tour stops in Austin on January 13th, 2013 for an afternoon of FUN for kids and adults alike! The show is great for 5 years and older and it’s a $5-$10 sliding scale, no one will be turned away. Enjoy Sunday lunch at the Spiderhouse Cafe and bring the gang next door in the Spiderhouse Ballroom for the show. It’s a perfect way to spend a Sunday afternoon with the kids!
Time: Doors at 2:00pm, Show 2:30pm-3:30pm
Where: Spiderhouse Ballroom at 2906 Fruth Street, Austin, TX 78705
Cost: $5-$10 sliding scale but there will be no one turned away!
- All Ages Storytime- Head over to Faulk Central Library for a storytime for children aged 5 and under and their parents, featuring stories, songs, fingerplays, rhymes, and crafts or other extension activities.
Where: Faulk Central Library, 800 Guadalupe Street
- Get Fit! Ballet Austin offers a FREE Day of Fitness for all ages on January 13, 2013! Fun for the entire family!
Come celebrate lifelong health and well being as Ballet Austin kicks off the new year with this FREE fitness event! GetFit! 2013 is Ballet Austin’s FREE day of fitness, dance fitness, conditioning, and Pilates classes. Begin the new year with plans to make health and fitness a priority in 2013. GetFit! 2013 is FREE. Held at Ballet Austin’s Butler Dance Education Center, located in the heart of the 2nd Street District in downtown Austin. The day will offer the opportunity to sample the many fitness and Pilates classes offered year-round at Ballet Austin’s Butler Community School and Pilates Center. Sample one or all of the classes offered.
Time: 1:30pm – 5:30pm
Where: Ballet Austin’s Butler Dance Education Center, 501 W. 3rd St.
Have a wonderful weekend!