My heart nearly stopped when I got an email referring to “Easter next week”. Wha? Am I the only person still catching up from Spring Break? No rest for the weary, I suppose. Here are some lists with ideas to help you get started (if you are like me) or to round out your Easter plans. Read on for places to get a photo taken with the Easter Bunny, top Easter events in Austin and the surrounding area, brunches, basket ideas and Pinterest picks!
Photos with the big bunny are popping up everywhere! Here are some you can still take advantage of:
- Take a photo with the Easter Bunny at Barton Creek Square until April 4th.
- Take a photo with the Easter Bunny at Lakeline Mall until April 4th.
- Take a photo with the Easter Bunny at Round Rock Premium Outlets until April 4th.
- The Brushy Creek Municipal District hosts its annual Egg Hunt at Cat Hollow Park, starting at 10am. Activities include pictures with the Bunny, and you can bring your own camera.
- Snap a photo with the Easter Bunny at the Dittmar Rec Center‘s Search for the Lost Egg event on March 28th at 11am.
- The Spring Eggstravaganza runs from 1-3pm and features an egg hunt, storytime (children keep a book, provided compliments of Half Price Books), dance taught by a choreographer, cookie and egg decorating, games, face painting and photos with the Easter Bunny. $10/child to support the Austin Summer Musical (no cost for adults).
- Take a photo with your own camera at the Spring Egg-stravaganza in Cedar Park on March 29th between 2 and 2:45pm.
- Photos with the Easter Bunny are just part of the excitement at the annual Inherit Austin Easter Egg Hunt on April 4th from 8-10am at Laguna Gloria.
- There are only a few spots left for Hopping Good Easter Bunny Fun at Kaleidoscope Toys on April 4th from 2-4pm. In addition to FREE photos you can take with your own camera, kids can also do a free Easter Bunny craft.
- Do512 Family Night at Hat Creek’s Westlake location features Easter Bunny photos, half-off kids meals, beer specials and more, starting at 5pm.
Here are some events happening from now until Easter which sound like fun:
Saturday, March 28
- Lakeline Mall’s Spring Easter Eggstravaganza, from noon until 2, where kids can participate in various Easter activities and games.
- The Round Rock Parks and Recreation Department is hosting the annual Flashlight Easter Egg Hunt and Movies in the Park, featuring Guardians in the Galaxy, starting at 6:45pm at Old Settlers Park. Advanced registration required.
- The Neill-Cochran Museum is hosting the 6th Annual Easter Egg Dye-o-Rama from noon until 4pm. Kids will be able to dye their own Easter eggs, play games on the g rounds and explore the museum in a playful, less-formal environment. Event is free, but donations are accepted.
- The Omni Barton Creek is hosting an Easter Ball Hunt on April 4th & 5th. The resort will hide colored golf balls along the fairways, bunkers and greens of the Fazio Foothills course on April 4th. Each ball will represent a different prize to be redeemed at the sport shop following the golfer’s round.
- ASH Dash 5k Bunny Run & Walk is a fun, easy way to help children and adults receiving treatment for mental illness. The run begins at 8am and entry costs $20 for children and $35 for adults.
- The Austin Zoo’s annual Easter Egg hunt will begin at 8:30am on the zoo grounds. Advance reservations must be made by 5pm on April 2nd. $3/child for nonmembers. Call (512) 288-1490 to reserve your spot!
- The Omni Barton Creek is hosting an Easter Ball Hunt on April 4th & 5th. The resort will hide colored golf balls along the fairways, bunkers and greens of the Fazio Canyons course on April 5th. Each ball will represent a different prize to be redeemed at the sport shop following the golfer’s round.
- Dragon’s Lair is hosting a Learn to Play Magic the Gathering event and Easter egg hunt, starting at noon. Eggs will each have tickets for prizes, ranging from trial decks to rare cards to the ultimate prize — an entire booster box of the new Dragons of Tarkir set! Egg hunt participants must be 17 and under and each person is limited to one prize. No age limit on the learn to play portion.
- Prior to each Jack & the Beanstalk show at Scottish Rite (which begin at 12:30 and 2:30pm), there will be an Easter egg hunt!
- At the Umlauf’s free monthly Family Day, taking place from noon until 4pm, make a basket and decorate eggs while you enjoy refreshments. There will be sculptures, stories, music, Easter Egg Hunts and more.
Why make a list when someone has already? We found these two lists that had a lot of yummy-sounding options:
Places to East Easter Brunch in Austin on 365 Things To Do in Austin, Texas
Austin restaurants: Where to eat on Easter from Austin360
9 Austin Restaurants featuring special Easter brunch menus from CultureMap
Easter Basket Ideas
Move over, Valentine’s detritus. It’s time for another holiday! First, we wanted to link back to our post last year on non-candy Easter basket alternatives in case you want to balance out the sugar with toys and other treats.
Pinterest Picks for Easter
For you, our dear readers, I went down the Pinterest rabbit hole (sorry, I couldn’t help it!) to find these Easter crafts which look doable, even to those are craft-challenged as I am:
- Bunny origami
- Light-up fireflies
- Paper plate baby chick
- Easter egg potato stamping
- Easter Borax crystals
- Watercolor Easter Egg decorations
- Peeps play dough
- Easter bunny and chick fingerprint craft
- Paint-filled egg art
- Ninja Turtle slime eggs activity
- Wine cork chicks craft
For the table:
- Put craft eggs into a cylinder-shaped vase and add sticks with nascent greenery
- Peeps + Easter M&Ms + candle = great holiday centerpiece
- Jelly bean tree
- Colored water vases
- Easter Egg Wreath
- Easter Egg Garland
- Paper Strip Easter Egg Art
- Carrot garland
- Paint chip Easter garland
- Bunny pancakes
- Easter Racing Rabbits (includes Twinkies if you are not into them)
- Peeps S’mores
- Easter Bunny bark
- Bunny mix
- Homemade Reese’s eggs
- Peeps Easter bunny dirt cake
- Chocolate-covered Peeps
- Nutter Butter Little Chicks
- Dye-ving Dudes (tutorial seems to be broken but you can probably figure it out from the photo)
- “Grow your own” eggs (with hair made from sprouts, grass or other seeds)
- Plastic Easter Egg Bunny Craft
- Emoji Easter Eggs
Are you ready?