Event: Postpartum Progress’ Climb Out of the Darkness 2015, June 19

climb out of the darkness

If you feel alone. If you feel ashamed. If you’re still lost. If you haven’t told anyone yet. Or ever. If you feel like you’ll never get better. If you have gotten better and yet you still look over your shoulder. If you still grieve for the moments that have been lost to perinatal mood and anxiety disorders. If you’re looking for people who’ve been where you are and who truly understand.

Postpartum ProgressClimb Out of the Darkness® is the world’s largest event raising awareness of maternal mental illnesses like postpartum depression, postpartum anxiety & OCD, postpartum PTSD, postpartum psychosis, postpartum bipolar disorder, and pregnancy depression and anxiety. Climb Out is held on or near the longest day of the year annually to help shine the most light on perinatal mood and anxiety disorders. The event features mothers and others across the globe joining together to climb mountains and hike trails to represent their symbolic rise out of the darkness of maternal mental illness and into the light of hope and recovery.

Our friend Kim Borchert is leading this year’s Austin Climb. Here’s what she had to say about the cause: ” I suffered from PMD after Zachary was born. It was a really dark time for me. Through the organization Postpartum Progress, I was able to find a care provider for me in my area. I was able to get help and heal. Every year, 1 million women suffer from PMD, but only 15% get the help they need. Through these grassroots efforts, we hope to reach many many more and help the other 85% who need it.”

Advertisement
 

How can you get involved?

  • You can participate in the Austin Climb Out of the Darkness event, taking place on Friday, June 19th at Brushy Creek Lake Park in Cedar Park at 7pm. Registration is free and there will be watermelon and popsicles after the climb. To register for the Austin event, click on Join a Team from the registration page and select Texas – Austin from the drop down menu.
  • Whether you participate in the climb or not, you can ask someone to donate on your behalf. Funds raised will go to support Postpartum Progress. To find out the impact of your donations, click here.
  • Take your own Warrior Mom muscle pic, upload it to your Instagram account, AND BE SURE to include the hashtags #climbout #warriormom and #myfightsong. Postpartum Progress will share those pics on Instagram and on Facebook.

 

About Nicole Basham 793 Articles
A native Austinite and soccer-playing mom, Nicole uses her 10-year-old son as an excuse to rediscover her hometown through his eyes. In Thoreau's words, her mission is to "suck out all the marrow of life", or in her son's words, to cultivate in him a love of "advenchers".

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

*