We are thankful to live in such a fabulous place. How can we make sure it stays that way? We’ll be bringing you ideas on how you can help our fellow Austinites all year long in our Give Back series.
Last week, we talked about food. This week, we’ll talk about something moms are very familiar with: diapers. When then-new-mom Beverly Hamilton read this article in 2013, she learned that federal assistance programs do not cover diapers, which cost about $100 a month. Three million children live in poverty in the United States, so it would take 6.57 billion (yes, you read that right: billion) diapers to keep these children clean and dry. She decided she had to do something to make sure all parents have access to diapers for their children and that all seniors who need them have them, so she started the Austin Diaper Bank.
The Austin Diaper Bank collects any sized diapers and distributes them to social service agencies. Since 2013, the Diaper Bank has distributed over 300,000 diapers. How can you help?
Ways to Give:
- Make a tax-deductible donation to Austin Diaper Bank to help provide storage for diapers, womanpower to distribute the diapers and needed supplies. The cost to diaper a baby for a week is $12. The organization also needs gift certificates to H-E-B, Walmart, Costco or Target.
- Bring any size baby or adult diapers, especially larger sizes and even opened packages to one of the following drop-off locations during business hours:
- AustinBorn, 5555 N. Lamar Blvd, Suite C-127
- BabyEarth, 106 E. Old Settlers Blvd., Round Rock
- College Nannies + Tutors, 33000 Bee Caves Rd.
- Dance Xplosion, 5800 Slaughter Ln, #300
- Little Helping Hands, 8711 Burnet Rd., Suite B-33
- Kid to Kid Austin, 14010 N. US Hwy 183, Suite 420
- Pumpkin Patch Children’s Store, 2945 W. Anderson Ln. & 4211 S. Lamar
- Special Addition, 7301 Burnet Rd.
- Toy Time, 101B Pecan Street W., Pflugerville
- Volunteer to help sort, count and pack diapers at the mini-warehouse at 5555 N. Lamar Blvd. Kids are welcome to help. There is a baby and toddler play area if your child isn’t young enough to help. All minors must be accompanied by an adult. Click here for upcoming volunteer opportunities.
- Host a diaper drive at your school, church or work. The drive can be a week, a month or just at one event. The Diaper Bank has flyers you can customize and a collection bin you can use for donations. Click here for more information.
Deck the Halls With Diapers at Northwest Recreation Center on Tuesday, December 15th from 10am until noon.
The Deck the Halls With Diapers event aims to fill Santa’s sleigh with diapers while enjoying some holiday traditions like Decorating Cookies for Santa with Passion Flower, doing simple crafts, building with LEGO with Snapology, being silly in a photo booth with elf props and listening to storytime, all while listening to holiday music. There will even be a baby area for the littlest diaper bank supporters. The event is free BUT donations of diapers and/or dollars are requested.
Here are some other organizations working in Central Texas to serve children and families:
- Any Baby Can
- Austin Bat Cave
- Austin’s Children’s Shelter
- Austin Partners in Education
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Texas
- Communities in Schools
- Girls Empowerment Network
- Little Helping Hands
- Mothers’ Milk Bank of Austin
- Ronald McDonald House Charities of Central Texas
- The Settlement Home for Children
- United Way of Central Texas
- Wonders & Worries