It’s New Year’s Resolution time again. As you set your goals, there is a conference in Austin that will help you meet them. MomCom, the inspiration platform and networking event that brings together mothers of diverse ages, backgrounds and life experiences to support each other, share stories, and create a community of like-minded women, is making its way back to Austin this January 24th and 25th. The event will be held at the Westin at the Domain and feature a full slate of speakers, group break-outs, meals and entertainment for more than 300 attending women.
MomCom is thrilled to welcome a stellar group of speakers spanning all walks of life and every stage of parenting, essentially, “ordinary moms” doing extraordinary work. These women have forgotten about “opting in” or “opting out” of the workplace, but rather have outlined their own course for creative, professional and parenting success. The 2014 MomCom speakers include:
- Meredith Walker is Amy Poehler’s partner in Smart Girls. The online network and community which offers original content aimed at helping young women with the process of cultivating their authentic selves. Walker, a producer, will talk about how to be authentically you despite pressure from the outside world.
- Karen Walrond is an author and photographer with a bestselling book, The Beauty of Being Different. The book underscores a message that what makes you different is what makes you beautiful, as told through a chronicle of imagery and portraiture combined essays. It also inspired BlogHer’s “Own Your Beauty” initiative where Karen served as lead blogger, and also appeared as part of USA Today’s OwnIt campaign. A Tedex speaker, she’s also author of Chookooloonks, an award winning photoblog. Karen and her various projects have been featured The Oprah Winfrey Show, PBS, Huffington Post, CNN, USA Today and more. She is married and has daughter.
- Heather Schuck is CEO and founder of the leading children’s brand, Glamajama. Despite her lack of fashion or business experience, she was able to turn her failed eBay hobby into a multi-million dollar company with the celebrity favorite line being sold at hundreds of boutiques in the US and overseas at national retailers including Target, JCPenney, Sears and BuyBuyBaby. In 2010 she also launched the mom community website, glamaLIFE.com, which has an engaged 50,000+ community. A stay at home mom with three young children, she utilizes technology to work smarter, not harder ultimately balancing motherhood and her multi-million dollar company. In May 2013 she released The Working Mom Manifesto: How to Stop Hoping for Happiness and Start Creating It.
- Glennon Doyle Melton is the mastermind behind momastery.com. She’s also battled personal demons (like alcoholism and bulimia) faith, conviction and a lot of hard work. She is now a mother of three who inspires women and men every day through her blog, speaking engagements and her book Carry on Warrior: Thoughts on Life Unarmed. She will be speaking about how to lead a life, family, company and social movement without fear. Sharing her own story as she provides her fresh perspective on success, joy, peace and “balance.”
- Elizabeth Kreutz is an acclaimed photojournalist. Eight years ago she photographed the Tour de France for the first time. Her ability to uniquely capture personality in her photographs soon caught the eye of Newsweek and since then her work’s been featured in Time, Sports Illustrated and The Guardian. Her photos have represented many iconic brands including Nike and Oakley and her photo of Michael Phelps graced the Kellogg’s Corn Flakes Box following the Beijing Olympics. As Lance Armstrong’s personal photographer, she also co-authored a book with him called Comeback 2.0: Up Close and Personal. She’s received several prestigious photojournalism awards and is mother of two boys.
- Bridget Dunlap transformed herself from pilates instructor/technical writer/sometimes waitress into a thriving entrepreneur and restaurateur. Previous owner of the Houston’s successful Pearl Bar, she’s responsible for much of Austin’s nightlife and food scene. She saw promise in city’s dilapidated Rainey Street and transformed the street into a booming social district including her venues – Lustre Pearl, Clive Bar, Bar 96 and the upcoming Container Bar. She recently opened her first restaurant, Mettle which has been praised by critics.
- Yasmin Diallo Turk is a passionate advocate for women, parent to two young children and a geographer making her way from GED to PHD. In addition to her incredible work and accolades in academia, she is in her twelfth year working directly with survivors of sexual and domestic violence at SafePlace. She also volunteers as Girl Scout co-leader, as an Arabic language interpreter for American Gateways and as project director for HOPE Senegal.
- Melinda Garvey is regarded as one of the most dynamic women in the greater Austin area for her work as a successful female entrepreneur, community philanthropist and role model. As founder and Publisher of Austin Woman Magazine, entering its 11th year of publication, and ATXMAN Magazine, she is responsible for leading the fastest-growing niche publications in Central Texas. As a community leader, she is a powerful contributor to many Austin organizations and serves as a mentor for young organizations and businesses. Garvey also served as Entrepreneur In Residence for The McCombs Business School at The University of Texas for the 2011-2012 school year.
In addition to the speakers and storytelling, guests will be able to enjoy a Wine Walk on Friday evening, The shops and boutiques at the Domain will be offering wine, spirits and bites along with exclusive discounts for MomCom attendees. There are also great breakout sessions on everything from finances to PR and letting the guilt go.
To purchase tickets, book travel and find out more about MomCom’s upcoming conference or for more information about other MomCom events please visit: www.MomComLife.com. Connect with MomCom @MomComAustin or search hashtags #MomCom2014 and #MomUP!
Established in 2011 as a way for mothers to bond beyond the play date, MomCom is designed to focus on collaboration and support among mothers, no matter their stage of life and if/how they choose to work. Trish Morrison, the founder and CEO of MomCom® Life Morrison, is herself a working mom who has never been into the traditional nine-to-five way of working. Building the conference on the belief that mothers can change the way they do business to accommodate the way they want to live their lives, MomCom’s 2014 speakers are doing just that.