I’ve done lots of bumping into other moms since LiveMom launched in December and one of those mamas that I’ve had the pleasure of meeting via cyberspace is MizFit. This woman sounds pretty incredible and I can’t wait to get to know her better. She will be featured on LiveMom soon!
Her blog is all about health- the kind you eat, the kind that makes you stronger and live longer. It just so happens that we both post recipes on Thursdays- how lucky is that, now that we have so many options and help for the end of the week food dilemma! I can almost guarantee that if you are looking for something that won’t make your belly bulge, you’ll find it there. This week she features an oatmeal protein shake and a no bake protein bar. Not exactly stuff you can cook up for dinner for the kids, but it certainly will keep them sated until dinner’s done. You can find her recipes here.
A friend of mine, Alison, reminded me of a really good dish that I made one time when she came to my house for dinner. I found it on the Savvy Vegetarian website and it turned out to be delicious and easy. Here’s the recipe for Jamaican Red Bean Stew:
- 1 Tblsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups sliced baby carrots
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatores, drained
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 (16 oz) cans dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed*
- 1 (14 oz) can unsweetened light coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- Pour the oil into a 4-quart slow-cooker and set the cooker on high. Add the garlic and put the lid on the cooker while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- To the cooker, add the carrots, scallions, sweet potato, and tomatoes.
- Stir in the curry powder, thyme, red pepper flakes, allspice, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the beans, coconut milk, and broth.
Reduce heat, cover, and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours
Thanks, Deanna Roy for the veggie photo! Enjoy your dinner!