Sure, you’re probably still sorting out your kid’s Halloween costume, but it’s not too soon to start thinking about the Trail of Lights 5k. Registration for the kickoff event for the reinvigorated Trail of Lights opened last week, heralding the imminent onslaught of holiday cheer.
On Saturday, December 7, you and your family can walk or run the fun, healthy event, the course for which includes parts of the Trail of Lights. Early bird registration is only $30 through October 31, so mark your calendars to sign up before you start ingesting trick-or-treat calories.
Need a little more incentive to sign up for the Trail of Lights 5K? Here are my top 5 reasons to join the race:
- It’s an excuse to tie jingle bells to your shoelaces.
- It will help you mitigate the effects of holiday party foods and other winter weight-gain factors.
- Your kids can add the 3.2 miles to their Marathon Kids tally.
- You get to see the Trail of Lights before most of the rest of the city. (Last year, nearly half a million people visited the rebooted holiday attraction.)
- Because the organizers encourage participants to come in costume, you (or the leanest member of your family) can come dressed as Santa After Paleo.