When was the last time you escaped with your best girlfriends for a weekend getaway? It can be extremely hard as a busy parent to take time away from your family, but if you have the chance….TAKE IT! Maybe it’s to celebrate a birthday, engagement, a promotion, or a big life change! Taking time to unwind, relax, share stories, experience something new, and laugh is so important. Here are a few ideas for weekend getaways not far from Austin!
Camping – While I do enjoy the outdoors, I’m not a huge fan of tent camping. I like electricity, heaters, air conditioners and showers. There are some great places for “glamping” in Texas.
- Mo-Ranch – A beautiful retreat located on the Guadalupe River less than 3 hours from Austin in the Texas Hill Country. There are affordable options for cabins, hotel style rooms, or a large lodge! Take a few girlfriends or a large group. You can bring your own food or dine at their restaurant/dining hall. There are tons of water activities (rope swing, rapids, canoeing, water slides), sand volleyball, hiking, bird watching and more.
- Green Acres – Located less than 30 miles from Austin you can find Green Acres, a boutique retreat space. There are two Glamping Style Yurts in a mid-century modern rustic setting. Also enjoy the classic barn, open air kitchen, miniature donkeys, alpacas, corral fire pit, and natural surroundings.
- Camp Connect - When was the last time you went to camp? Camp Connect is a women’s only camp deep within the hill country. It’s from Sept 30-Oct 2 and is a way to ignite your youthful spirit, recharge your energy and reconnect you to you! Enjoy rock climbing, wine with friends, sunrise yoga, sunset hikes, paddle boarding, spa services, and floral design class. This would be the perfect way to re-energize your body, mind and spirit.
Downtown ATX – If you’re like me and live in the suburbs, going to downtown Austin is a treat! Stroll down South Congress, kayak Town Lake, dine at a restaurant you’ve been dying to try, and grab drinks at a new bar! I would love to stay at the JW Marriott, Hotel Emma, South Congress Hotel, W Austin. Having a staycation with your girlfriends can be just as exciting and fun as flying somewhere.
San Antonio – You don’t have to travel far to experience a wonderful getaway in San Antonio! San Antonio is one of the largest ciities in America, so here a few different areas of the city you can explore.
- The Pearl Brewery – This is a beautiful and hip new area of San Antonio. Great restaurants, shops, and stay at the new and exquisite, Hotel Emma.
- Riverwalk – Stroll the iconic Riverwalk, site-see the famous Alamo, visit the El Mercado for some great shopping and try my all time favorite tex-mex, Mi Tierra
- La Cantera – Explore the kid in you at Six Flags & Sea World, do some retail therapy at the Shops at La Cantera, and stay at the beautiful Westin La Cantera Hill Country Resort. You don’t even need to leave the hotel – lounge by the pools, get a luxurious massage, and dine in.
Port Aransas – One of my favorite beach getaways in Texas is to Port Aransas, and it’s less than 4 hours from Austin! Enjoy the beach, great nightlife and delicious seafood. This town is super quaint and most people rent golf carts and cruise the streets and beach. Try something different and take a guided fishing trip, para-sail or try surfing! Stay at a beautiful beach home rental like this one!
Fredericksburg – One of the most famous spots in Texas for a girl’s trip, but there’s no doubt why. Here are just a few things to do;
- Take a wine tour (you can take a guided bus tour so you don’t have to drive!)
- Stroll the most adorable main street with unique shops with wine or beer in hand (it’s legal!)
- Shop antiques at Fredericksburg Trade Days (Every 3rd weekend of the month…shop barns and barns full of antiques)
- Dine at an authentic German restaurant
- Stay at a chic and cozy rental like this or this
These destinations are only scratching the surface of great places to visit in Texas. Taking a trip with you friends is important for your mind, body and soul. It can take a lot of planning, but sit down with your girlfriends and make it happen. It will be WORTH it!
Do you have any favorite girl’s trip destinations or activities?