Valentine’s Day…already? I can’t be the only person still writing 2014 on my checks…or, perhaps I’m the only person writing out checks anymore, but I digress.
Yes, the day of hearts and Cupid and flowers and chocolate is almost upon us, and I hope I’m not the only one who’s not quite ready. For anyone else in the same boat as me, this might help:
HOMEMADE VALENTINES IDEAS
I totally understand that store-bought Valentine’s are easy, but if you have a crafter on your hands, here are a few ideas we have tried in the past:
When he was seven, we traced his hand to make heart-shaped cards which looked like these. This year, we are going with a LEGO theme. A friend sent along this idea, and since I didn’t have the molds, we purchased Candy Blox from the Central Market bulk aisle and will put about 8 for each kid in a small bag with a tag on top saying Build Yourself a Happy Valentine’s Day (his idea). I do recommend trying to do some each night, of course, since it’s hard to get it all one at the last minute.
BUY LOCAL: AUSTIN CHOCOLATE STORES
Chocolate is my favorite sweet and I’m thrilled that we have so many local options.
Austin Truffle Co.
11301 Lakeline Blvd. Suite 120B 78717
Baguette et Chocolat
12101 FM 2244 78738
24th & Nueces St. 78705
Chocolate Makers Studio
Buy ay Antonelli’s Cheese Shop, Atown, Austin Wine Merchant, Breed & Co.
(512) 230-8924 (to reach the Chocolate Makers Studio)
7425 Burnet Rd. Austin 78757
Sold online and in select retail locations
Crave Artisan Chocolates
Select products available at:
Mona Lisa’s Closet
3703 Kerbey Lane 78731
(512) 657-8098 (Crave phone number, not Mona Lisa’s)
3808 Spicewood Springs Rd. 78759
Lina’s Cocoa Couture
5109 McKittrick Canyon Dr. 78759
FAMILY-FRIENDLY VALENTINE’S EVENTS
- Earrings 101 Galentine’s Workshop – Saturday, February 7th from noon until 2:30pm (ages 11 and up)
- MetroMoms Family Valentine’s Bash – Thursday, February 12th from 9:30-11am
- Make a Valentine at Terra Toys – Thursday, February 12th AND Friday February 13th from 2-4pm both days. Decorate to your heart’s content with paper, glitter, stickers and all other supplies provided by Terra Toys! Like all Terra Toys events, this is a FREE event! (We kindly ask that all children are accompanied by an adult; each adult may bring a maximum of three children.)
- Daddy/Daughter Date Night at The Art Garage – Friday, February 13th from 4-8pm
- Be Mine: A Prairie Valentine – Saturday, February 14th at Pioneer Farms.
- Fall in Love with Science on Valentine’s Day- February 14th, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., at the new Hill Country Science Mill. Enjoy a fun-filled day for the whole family! Exciting and unique exhibits, Hands-on science activities, Great White Shark 3-D movie, Create a personalized avatar “science buddy”.
- Whole Foods Domain Kid’s Club- February 14, from noon – 2 p.m. Make a Valentine’s Day card with Silly Angel, a local greeting card maker.
CELEBRATE AT HOME IDEAS
– Give a book for International Book Giving Day
– Make chocolate fondue
– Order a heart-shaped pizza from Mangia’s and eat in
– Make breakfast for dinner with heart-shaped pancakes
– Make heart-shaped everything! 41 Heart-Shaped DIYs here.
– When you are done preparing all of those heart-shaped food items, settle down for a movie night with the family. Make it a love-themed movie night with these child-friendly movies to watch on Valentine’s Day:
Make it a Herbie viewing night with the Disney 4-Movie Collection: Herbie (Love Bug / Herbie Goes Bananas / Herbie Goes To Monte Carlo / Herbie Rides Again)
DATE NIGHT OPTIONS
- Cedar Park Valentine’s Parents Night Out – Friday, February 13th from 6-9pm
- Love, Lounging and Whoopie Pies Package – Head to Hyatt Lost Pines for a getaway
- Romantic Retreat Package – Fall in love with the Omni Barton Creek Resort with your honey
- Valentine’s Couples Retreat – Spend a weekend in Marble Falls with your sweetie
- A Valentine’s Evening With Dawn & Hawkes at Lamberts – Saturday, February 14th at 9:30ppm
- Cannibal Holocaust Feast – Saturday, February 14th at 10pm (leave it to the Alamo Drafthouse to come up with this!)
What are you doing this Valentine’s Day?
This post contains affiliate links.