- Baby Bloomers – Monday, February 10 from 9:00 a.m. to Noon. The sun will be shining bright for Yellow Day at Baby Bloomers. Children ages 0-3 and their families will create artwork of the sun and have lots of yellow fun. Weather permitting, Our Backyard will be open for some fun in the sun. Mr. Louis, a music educator from the Armstrong Community Music school, will have all the little ones singing and dancing at 10:30 a.m. Cost: Members $2.50 each / Non-Members $4.50 each. All people attending, regardless of age, must purchase a ticket. Purchase a ticket online as limited walk-up tickets will be available. The Thinkery, 1830 Simond Ave, Austin.
- Mr. Will’s Music Class for Kids – Monday, February 10 at 10:00 a.m. Mr. Will sings classic and original songs just for kids. Check him out upstairs in the Buzz. FREE! Whole Foods Bee Cave, 12601 Hill Country Blvd, Austin.
- Lego Lab – Monday, February 10 at 3:30 p.m. With LEGO, you can build anything you can imagine and tell any story you can dream up. Come to the Lego Lab to hear, see, make, and create different stories, all while building with LEGOs provided by the Library. FREE! Ages 5 and up welcome. APL – Howson Branch, 2500 Exposition Blvd, Austin.
- Lions & Tigers & Toys Storytime – Monday, February 10 at 4:00 p.m. Storytime and games every Monday. All ages welcome. FREE! Lions & Tigers & Toys, 4301 W Wm Cannon Dr, E-220, Austin.
- Free Karate Class (Del Valle) – Monday, February 10. Ages 3-12 years from 6-7:00 p.m.; Ages 12 to adult from 7-8:00 p.m. FREE Karate class with Instructor Frank Selvera, a sixth-degree black belt. Elroy Library, 13512 FM 812, Del Valle.
- Adult Craft Night – Monday, February 10 at 6:30 p.m. Tired of being stuck inside way too much lately because of the frigid temperatures? Why not make your humble abode smell more pleasant? Using fabric scraps, you can create divine lavender scented sachets that are guaranteed to make your house smell heavenly. All supplied provided. FREE and open to adults. APL – Ruiz Branch, 1600 Grove Blvd, Austin.
- Big Band Bash (Lakeway) – Monday, February 10 at 7:30 p.m. Put on your dancing shoes and bring your own beverages and snacks. Enjoy big band music from the 17-piece Republic of Texas Big Band, featuring David Cummings and Lisa Clark on vocals. FREE and open to all ages. (The band accepts donations after the show.) Lakeway Activity Center Ballroom, 105 Cross Creek, Lakeway.
- Free Admission to Pet Sounds – Tuesday, February 11 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Charles Long’s Pet Sounds is installed outdoors at Laguna Gloria. Titled after the 1966 Beach Boys album of the same name, these playful sculptures in bright, candy colors begin as railings and morph into luscious, playful blobs that engage the viewer with murmurs, vibrations, and strange sounds when touched. Read about Emily’s recent visit here. FREE! The Contemporary Austin, Laguna Gloria, 3809 West 35th St, Austin.
- Signing Storytime at Kaleidoscope Toys (Round Rock) – Tuesday, February 11 at 10:00 a.m. Join the Baby Signing Time revolution! This class is geared for children 0-5 years and their parents. Amy from the Signing Connection will lead this storytime that incorporates classic children’s books to help you learn basic American Sign Language signs. RSVP appreciated (but not required) by calling 512-388-5048. FREE! Kaleidoscope Toys, 110 N IH 35, Ste 375, Round Rock.
- Snowy, Snowy Storytime – Tuesday, February 11 at 10:30 a.m. Oh, to be sledding down hills on trash can lids into snowy banks! Austin might not get a real snowy blizzard this year, but you can pretend at this storytime all about lovely, cold, wintery mush. Enjoy a reading of The Snowy Day along with other tales as unique as snowflakes. Plus, make your very own snowflake to treasure. FREE! BookPeople, 603 N Lamar, Austin.
- Wild Things Zoofari Animal Show (Pflugerville) – Tuesday, February 11 at 10:30 a.m. Take a walk on the wild side with animals! Kids will learn about several species as they take a close look at some exotic animals such as Lucy, a cotton top tamarin monkey, and Oliver, a ring-tailed lemur. FREE! Pflugerville Public Library, 1008 Pfluger St W, Pflugerville.
- Free Admission to The Jones Center – Tuesday, February 11 from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. The Jones Center, 700 Congress Ave, Austin.
- Mr. Pete’s Train Stories - Tuesday, February 11 at 11:00 a.m. Storytime plus general play time before and after the reading. FREE! All Things Kids @The Domain, 3220 Feathergrass Ct, Austin.
- Yoga & Meditation for 3 to 5 year olds – Tuesday, February 11 at 12:30 p.m. Ms. Ruxi’s class focuses on a story in which poses are used, books that foster emotional intelligence, breath exercises, brain gym exercises, affirmations, music and movement, and meditations. FREE! Toybrary Austin, 7817 Rockwood Ln #101, Austin.
- Free Play Gaming – Tuesday, February 11 from 3:30-5:30 p.m. Free play gaming using one of the library’s video game consoles and a variety of games that could include Mario Kart, Rock Band, Dance, Dance Revolution, and many other favorites. FREE! APL – Windsor Park Branch, 5833 Westminster Dr, Austin.
- Tiger Woman, A Puppet Show – Tuesday, February 11 at 3:30 p.m. Literature LIVE! presents Tiger Woman from the book by Laurence Yep, a Bunraku style puppet show based on a traditional Chinese story. This is the tale of a greedy old woman who will not share her food with a beggar; but when the old man turns out to be a wizard, he teaches her a lesson in generosity. Recommended for ages 5 and up. FREE! APL – Old Quarry Branch, 7051 Village Center Dr, Austin.
- Discovery Writing Workshop: Be My Fictional Valentine – Tuesday, February 11 at 4:30 p.m. Do you think Lord Voldemort ever had a secret admirer? Whether you’re a sucker for Valentine’s Day or just like the candy, visit Laura’s for some Valentine’s fun! Make Valentine’s Day cards and write haikus to/from/about your favorite book characters. Come ready to rhyme and have a good time! FREE! Laura’s Library, 9411 Bee Cave Rd, Austin.
- Taste Buds Cooking Class – Tuesday, February 11 from 4:30-6:00 p.m. Ages ten and up are invited to this hands-on cooking class. Learn a new hobby and make some tasty dishes! FREE! Lake Travis Community Library, 1938 Lohmans Crossing, Austin.
- Family Movie Night – Tuesday, February 11 at 6:30 p.m. In Homeward Bound – The Incredible Journey, three pets escape from a California ranch to find their owners in San Francisco. Rated G. FREE! APL – Twin Oaks Branch, 1800 S Fifth St, Austin.
- Sweet-Talking Honey Happy Hour – Tuesday, February 11 at 6:30 p.m. Join the Austin Honey Co. and The Tipsy Texan for honey-based cocktails and a lively conversation about honey bees. Beekeepers will bring an observation hive and share their passion for pollinators and their impact on organic food production in our community. Get updates on bee populations locally and hear about what you can do in your everyday life to help boost populations of wild bees and other pollinators, all the while enjoying delicious drinks and appetizers! This event is FREE, but please register here to attend. Sustainable Food Center, 2921 E 17th St, Bldg C, Austin.
- Have I Got a Story For You (Kyle) – Tuesday, February 11 at 7:00 p.m. Toni Simmons will lead this special Black History Month storytelling event. Ms. Simmons is a professional storyteller who brings stories to life with the use of rhythms, songs, and audience participation. Her work appeals to audiences of all ages and includes a wide variety of literature from different cultures. FREE! Kyle Public Library, 550 Scott St, Kyle.
- Whole Foods Kids Club – Wednesday, February 12 at 9:00 a.m. Join the fun for Storytime and a craft every Wednesday with Gracie. FREE! Whole Foods Arbor Trails, 4301 W. William Cannon, Austin.
- Whole Foods Storytime – Wednesday, February 12 from 9:30-10:30 a.m. Enjoy a story reading, an activity, and a snack! All ages are welcome and parents can participate, too. FREE! Whole Foods Mezzanine, 525 N Lamar Blvd, Austin.
- Itty Bitty Playtime & Yoga – Wednesday, February 12 at 10:00 a.m. Itty Bitty Playtime & Yoga is a playful, educational, and relaxing time for babies and toddlers up to 18 months. Learn new ways to connect with your with your baby through movement, stretching and song. Complimentary juice and coffee served. FREE! Millie & Mox, 5145 North FM 620, Ste B110, Austin.
- Storytime with Staci Gray – Wednesday, February 12 at 10:30 a.m. Ms. Staci is back to read some of her favorite stories and to sing some of your favorite songs. Don’t forget your dancing shoes! You’re going to want to dance to some great tunes. FREE! BookPeople, 603 N Lamar, Austin.
- Indoor Rock Climbing – Wednesday, February 12 at 4:00 p.m. Can you make it to the top? Families are invited to enjoy FREE rockwall climbing. A waiver will be required for each climber and all youth under 18 must be accompanied by an adult at all times. Call 512-339-0016 for more information.Gus Garcia Recreation Center, 1201 E Rundberg Ln, Austin.
- Lego Lab – Wednesday, February 12 at 4:00 p.m. With LEGO, you can build anything you can imagine and tell any story you can dream up. Come to the Lego Lab to hear, see, make, and create different stories, all while building with LEGOs provided by the Library. FREE! Ages 5 and up welcome. APL – Carver Branch, 1161 Angelina St, Austin.
- Community Night at the Thinkery – Wednesday, February 12 from 5-8:00 p.m. At the Thinkery, science and families play side by side. Every Wednesday the Museum stays open late for families to discover new ideas and learn together. Cost: Admission is by donation only, with a suggested $1 donation. The Thinkery, 1830 Simond Ave, Austin.
- Krispy Kreme Family Night – Wednesday, February 12 from 6-8:00 p.m. Kids can decorate one FREE doughnut each, plus enjoy crafts, balloons, paper hats, coloring sheets and more. Krispy Kreme, 701 E Stassney Ln and 12586 Research Blvd, Austin.
- Black History Month Movie Night (Round Rock) – Wednesday, February 12 at 6:30 p.m. To celebrate Black History Month, the Round Rock Public Library will host a special screening of the film The Help. Cost: $1. Food and beverages will be available for purchase. Flix Brewhouse, 2200 S IH-35, Round Rock.
- Family Laughter Yoga – February 12 from 6:30-7:30 p.m. Join Laughter Leader Lynne West for this fun and invigorating session. Adults and children will laugh, clap, play, breath deeply and stretch their bodies gently. FREE! Laura’s Library, 9411 Bee Cave Rd, Austin.
- Free Admission to The Blanton – Thursday, February 13 from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. FREE! Blanton Museum of Art, 200 E Martin Luther King Junior Blvd, Austin.
- Little Yoga – Thursday, February 13 at 10:30 a.m. This 30-minute class allows children 3 to 6 years old to experience exercise in a mellow environment. Children and their adults will practice breathing and age appropriate stretching. FREE! Lake Travis Community Library, 1938 Lohmans Crossing, Austin.
- Story Time with Princess CJ – Thursday, February 13 at 11:00 a.m. Storytime plus general play time before and after the reading. FREE! All Things Kids @The Domain, 3220 Feathergrass Ct, Austin.
- Hola! Hola! Teach Your Tot Spanish – Thursday, February 13 at Noon. Use songs & stories to help teach your child Spanish even if you don’t speak it yourself. Let Ann Benson, expert in the area of early childhood music and bilingual education be your guide. FREE! Westbank Library, 1309 Westbank Dr, Austin.
- Story Time at The Rhythm Studio – Thursday, February 13 at Noon. Develop your toddler’s pre-literacy skills in this 30 minute magical musical event. During this story time, participants will explore an age-appropriate book and then sing, dance, and play to build a foundation for a life-long love of the arts. Toddlers from 1 to 2 years old and their caregivers will enjoy this bonding and socializing time in a safe atmosphere. FREE but pre-registration is required. The Rhythm Studio, 12129 Ranch Rd 620 North, Ste 310, Austin.
- Free Noon Concert – Thursday, February 13 at Noon. Take a 30-minute lunchtime break to enjoy One Ounce Opera’s Valentine’s celebration. FREE! Central Presbyterian Church, 200 E 8th St, Austin.
- Brown Bag Lunch Concert Series (Lakeway) – Thursday, February 13 at Noon. Based in Austin, aka is a collective of dedicated performers who just really love to sing and make music. Their Valentine’s show will feature songs from a wide range of musical time periods both past and present. FREE! Lakeway Activity Center Ballroom, 105 Cross Creek, Lakeway.
- Valentine’s Wine Walk – Thursday, February 13 from 5-9:00 p.m. Start at Twin Liquors to pick up a map, which will guide you and serve as your ticket for each wine walk stop. Enjoy street performers along the way. Participants will receive a PINK swag bag, while supplies last, and Valentine’s themed offers throughout the night. FREE! Hill Country Galleria, 12700 Hill Country Blvd, Austin.
- Valentine’s Celebration – Thursday, February 13 from 6-8:00 p.m. Activities include a cupcake walk, booths, games, prizes, and fun. FREE! Dove Springs Recreation Center, 5801 Ainez Dr, Austin.
- Anti-Valentine’s Day Party (Pflugerville) - Thursday, February 13 at 6:00 p.m. Tired of pink and red hearts? Teens, come to the library for Love Stinks song trivia, broken heart cookie decorating, a romance-free movie, and more! Ages 12-18. FREE! Pflugerville Public Library, 1008 Pfluger St W, Pflugerville.
- Son y No Son Concert – Thursday, February 13 from 6:30-9:00 p.m. Son y No Son is a long established Austin Latin dance ensemble led by Rey Arteaga and accompanied by some of the best musicians in Austin. They perform a diverse array of latin genres with a focus on traditional Cuban styles such as Son, Bolero, Guajira, and Cha-Cha. FREE! Central Market, 4001 N Lamar Blvd, Austin.
- The Magpies Concert - Thursday, February 13 from 6:30-9:00 p.m. David Pulkingham has spent the last few years touring and recording with Alejandro Escovedo. He’s now in drivers seat playing his genre bending blend of flamenco, Latin, pop and soul music with the Magpies. FREE! Central Market Westgate, 4477 S Lamar Blvd, Austin.
- Interactive Story Time (Round Rock) – Friday, February 14 at 9:30 a.m. (0-18 months) and 10:30 a.m. (19 months – 4 years). Interactive story time gets little ones moving. From hopping around to one story to using scarves to animate another, everyone has a great time. FREE! BabyEarth, 106 E Old Settlers Blvd, Ste D100, Round Rock.
- Williamson County Courthouse Tours (Georgetown) – Friday, February 14 at 1:30, 2:30 and 3:30 p.m. In celebration of the Williamson Museum’s 10th anniversary, FREE guided tours of the historic county courthouse will be offered on Fridays and Saturdays throughout February. Tours are free, last about 45 minutes and are handicapped accessible. Tours begin at The Williamson Museum, 716 S Austin Ave, Georgetown.
- Reading Dog – Friday, February 14 at 3:30 p.m. Handler Neel and Dog Joey will read with kiddos or visit with them. Pre-readers and readers are welcome. FREE! Westbank Library, 1309 Westbank Dr, Austin.
In her life before kids, Emily held jobs as a zookeeper, a middle school teacher, and a tour bus driver in the wilds of Montana–not one of which prepared her for the adventures of motherhood. Now she’s living the good life in Austin with her husband, two sons and a Great Dane. When she’s not off gallivanting with her boys, you might find Emily baking up a mean batch of cupcakes, recalling obscure 80s song lyrics, or dreaming of peace and quiet.