Happening All Week
- Anne Frank: A History for Today (Georgetown) – Monday, March 31 – Thursday, April 3 from 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. and Friday, April 4 from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. This Anne Frank traveling exhibit (presented in both English and Spanish) is open for public viewing during normal library hours. FREE! Georgetown Public Library, 402 W 8th St, Georgetown.
- Baby Bloomers – Monday, March 31 from 9:00 a.m. to Noon. Baby Bloomers is an opportunity for children age 0-3 and their families to explore science, technology, engineering, arts, and math. This week, dress in your favorite pajamas and get ready to party. The Que Pastas, one of Austin’s own “Kindie” rock bands, will have everyone jumping and jiving in their jammies! Cost: Members $2.50 each / Non-Members $4.50 each. All people attending, regardless of age, must purchase a ticket. Purchase a ticket online as limited walk-up tickets will be available. The Thinkery, 1830 Simond Ave, Austin.
- Mr. Will’s Music Class for Kids – Monday, March 31 at 10:00 a.m. Mr. Will sings classic and original songs just for kids. Check him out upstairs in the Buzz. FREE! Whole Foods Bee Cave, 12601 Hill Country Blvd, Austin.
- Signing Storytime at Kaleidoscope Toys (Round Rock) – Monday, March 31 at 10:00 a.m. Join the Baby Signing Time revolution! This class is geared for children 0-5 years and their caregivers. Amy from the Signing Connection will lead this storytime that incorporates classic children’s books to help you learn basic American Sign Language signs. RSVP appreciated (but not required) by calling 512-388-5048. FREE! Kaleidoscope Toys, 110 N IH 35, Ste 375, Round Rock.
- Storytime with Dr. Candra – Monday, March 31 at 11:00 a.m. Dr. Candra will captivate your children with a variety of stories and related crafts. FREE! Brilliant Sky Toys and Books, 701 S. Capital of Texas Hwy, Ste D-480, Austin.
- Lions & Tigers & Toys Storytime – Monday, March 31 at 4:00 p.m. Storytime and games every Monday. All ages welcome. FREE! Lions & Tigers & Toys, 4301 W Wm Cannon Dr, E-220, Austin.
- Free Karate Class (Del Valle) – Monday, March 31. Ages 3-12 years from 6-7:00 p.m.; Ages 12 to adult from 7-8:00 p.m. FREE Karate class with Instructor Frank Selvera, a sixth-degree black belt. Elroy Library, 13512 FM 812, Del Valle.
- Breakfast and Crafts with the Easter Bunny – Tuesday, April 1 from 9:00 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. Bring the kiddos for complimentary breakfast and crafts and snap some photos with the bunny. FREE! Whole Foods Domain, 11920 Domain Dr, Austin.
- Free Admission to Pet Sounds - Tuesday, April 1 from 10:00 a.m. to 4 p.m. Charles Long’s Pet Sounds is installed outdoors at Laguna Gloria. Titled after the 1966 Beach Boys album of the same name, these playful sculptures in bright, candy colors begin as railings and morph into luscious, playful blobs that engage the viewer with murmurs, vibrations, and strange sounds when touched. Read more about this fun exhibition here. FREE! The Contemporary Austin, Laguna Gloria, 3809 West 35th St, Austin.
- French Legation Museum Children’s Storytime – Tuesday, April 1 at 10:00 a.m. Join in an exciting 30 minutes of reading and play on the museum grounds. Feel free to bring snacks, blankets, and your imagination. FREE! French Legation Museum, 802 San Marcos St, Austin.
- Chinese Bilingual Storytime (Round Rock) - Tuesday, April 1 at 10:30 a.m. This program, geared for ages 3-6, celebrates Chinese culture with stories, fingerplays, and songs both English and Mandarin. FREE! Round Rock Public Library, 216 E Main St, Round Rock.
- April Fool’s Day Puppet Show Storytime – Tuesday, April 1 at 10:30 a.m. There will be no storytime today…APRIL FOOL’S! BookPeople’s goofiest booksellers will be performing the hilarious book, Pearl & Wagner: One Funny Day which is all about this most auspicious holiday. Maybe you’ll learn a few knock knock jokes, too! FREE! BookPeople, 603 N Lamar, Austin.
- Story Time with Princess CJ - Tuesday, April 1 at 11:00 a.m. Storytime plus general play time before and after the reading. FREE! All Things Kids @The Domain, 3220 Feathergrass Ct, Austin.
- Free Admission to The Jones Center – Tuesday, April 1 from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. The Jones Center, 700 Congress Ave, Austin.
- Music with Mr. Will – Tuesday, April 1 at 11:30 a.m. Rock out with local children’s singer, “Mr. Will” Dupuy. FREE! Brilliant Sky Toys & Books, The Village at West Lake (360 and Bee Caves Rd), 701 S. Capital of Texas Hwy Suite D-480.
- Discovery! My Storymaker – Tuesday, April 1 at 4:30 p.m. The Discovery hands on program explores all sorts of different topics, including science, literature, and much more, especially designed for older kids (third grade and up). This week, kids will learn how they can make their own interactive storybooks using My Storymaker. Kids can create their own characters, give them different goals, and design their own environments. After they are finished they will be able to view their work and also download their book to take home. FREE! Laura’s Library, 9411 Bee Cave Rd, Austin.
- Crafty Crew – Tuesday, April 1 at 6:30 p.m. Join Ms. Kristi for a seasonal craft that is fun for kids of all ages. FREE! Westbank Community Library, 1309 Westbank Dr, Austin.
- Community Cinema: Medora – Tuesday, April 1 at 7:00 p.m. Community Cinema is a free monthly screening series featuring films from the Independent Lens series. After the screening, lively discussions bring citizens and organizations together to encourage dialogue and action around important and timely social issues. Medora, Indiana, is a once-booming community beset by a crippled economy and a dwindling population. This documentary follows the town’s down-but-not-out varsity basketball team over a season, capturing the players’ stories on and off the court – as the team’s struggle to compete parallels the town’s fight for survival. FREE! APL – Windsor Park Branch, 5833 Westminster Dr, Austin.
- Whole Foods Storytime – Wednesday, April 2 from 9:30-10:30 a.m. Enjoy a story reading, an activity, and a snack! All ages are welcome and parents can participate, too. FREE! Whole Foods Mezzanine, 525 N Lamar Blvd, Austin.
- Itty Bitty Playtime & Yoga – Wednesday, April 2 at 10:00 a.m. Itty Bitty Playtime & Yoga is a playful, educational, and relaxing time for babies and toddlers up to 18 months. Learn new ways to connect with your with your baby through movement, stretching and song. Complimentary juice and coffee served. FREE! Millie & Mox, 5145 North FM 620, Ste B110, Austin.
- Yoga Storytime – Wednesday, April 2 at 10:30 a.m. Over the river and through the woods to yoga story time we’ll move. Bring your imagination and energy for a yoga class fit for the whole family. Bliss Kid Yoga will read stories and lead a short yoga lesson. No prior yoga experience needed on this adventure. FREE! BookPeople, 603 N Lamar, Austin.
- Tiger Woman, A Puppet Show – Wednesday, April 2 at 10:30 a.m. Literature LIVE! presents Tiger Woman from the book by Laurence Yep, a Bunraku style puppet show based on a traditional Chinese story. This is the tale of a greedy old woman who will not share her food with a beggar; but when the old man turns out to be a wizard, he teaches her a lesson in generosity. Recommended for ages 5 and up. FREE! APL – Willie Mae Kirk Branch, 3101 Oak Springs Dr, Austin.
- Paint Me a Story (Georgetown) – Wednesday, April 2 at 11:00 a.m. Community storytelling and art lesson with Miss Melanie and Honey. This event is FREE and ideal for pre-schoolers and their caregivers. All Things Kids in Georgetown, 703 S Main St, Georgetown.
- Yoga in the Park – Wednesday, April 2 at Noon. Yoga Yoga is proud to offer an all level Hatha Yoga class to participants at Yoga in the Park. Please bring your own yoga mat to class. FREE! Republic Square Park, 422 Guadalupe, Austin.
- Downton Abbey Tea Time – Wednesday, April 2 at 2:00 p.m. Downton Abbey Tea Time – Wednesdays at 2pm – Beginning on March 19th, gather to watch the fourth season of Downton Abbey every Wednesday at 2pm. Watch an episode, drink a cup of tea, and enjoy some good company. FREE! Lake Travis Community Library, 1938 Lohmans Crossing, Austin 78734
- Lego Lab - Wednesday, April 2 at 3:00 p.m. With LEGO, you can build anything you can imagine and tell any story you can dream up. Come to the Lego Lab to hear, see, make, and create different stories, all while building with LEGOs provided by the Library. FREE! Recommended for ages 5 and up. APL – Southeast Branch, 5803 Nuckols Crossing Rd, Austin.
- Indoor Rock Climbing – Wednesday, April 2 at 4:00 p.m. Can you make it to the top? Families are invited to enjoy FREE rockwall climbing. A waiver will be required for each climber and all youth under 18 must be accompanied by an adult at all times. Gus Garcia Rec Center, 1201 E Rundberg Ln, Austin.
- Reading Dog – Wednesday, April 2 at 4:30 p.m. Handler Holly with Dog Chula will be at Laura’s Library to read with kiddoes or visit with them. Pre-readers and readers are welcome. No registration is required. FREE! Laura’s Library, 9411 Bee Cave Rd, Austin.
- Community Night at The Thinkery – Wednesday, April 2 from 5-8:00 p.m. At the Thinkery, science and families play side by side. Every Wednesday the Museum stays open late for families to discover new ideas and learn together. Cost: Admission is by donation only, with a suggested $1 dollar donation. The Thinkery, 1830 Simond Ave, Austin.
- Krispy Kreme Family Night – Wednesday, April 2 from 6-8:00 p.m. Kids can decorate one FREE doughnut each, plus enjoy crafts, balloons, paper hats, coloring sheets and more. Krispy Kreme, 701 E Stassney Ln and 12586 Research Blvd, Austin.
- Wine Down Wednesday – Wednesday, April 2 from 6-8:00 p.m. Event stations will be set up in four designated locations throughout the shopping center, each serving a different wine selection paired with small bites and live music from local Austin artists. Guests are encouraged to sign in and pick up an event guide at the registration table near Amy’s Ice Cream. FREE! The Arboretum,10000 Research Blvd, Austin.
- Family Movie Night: The Sandlot - Wednesday, April 2 at 6:30 p.m. Scotty Smalls moves to a new neighborhood with his mom and stepdad, and wants to learn to play baseball. The neighborhood baseball guru Rodriquez takes Smalls under his wing, and soon he’s part of the local baseball buddies. They fall into adventures involving baseball, treehouse sleep-ins, the desirous lifeguard at the local pool, the snooty rival ball team, and the traveling fair. Beyond the fence at the back of the sandlot menaces a legendary ball-eating dog called The Beast, and the kids inevitably must deal with him. Rated PG. FREE! APL – Manchaca Road Branch, 5500 Manchaca Rd, Austin.
- Free Admission to The Blanton – Thursday, April 3 from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. FREE! Blanton Museum of Art, 200 E Martin Luther King Junior Blvd, Austin.
- Story Time with Princess CJ – Thursday, April 3 at 11:00 a.m. Storytime plus general play time before and after the reading. FREE! All Things Kids @The Domain, 3220 Feathergrass Ct, Austin.
- Free Noon Concert – Thursday, April 3 at Noon. Take a 30-minute lunchtime break with Dr. Courtney J. Crappel on piano. FREE! Central Presbyterian Church, 200 E 8th St, Austin.
- Yoga in the Park – Thursday, April 3 at Noon. CorePower Yoga strengthens, balances, detoxifies, and exhilarates the body and mind. CorePower Yoga classes will have you moving, breathing, and sweating. No matter your age, strength, or flexibility level, CorePower Yoga meets you where you are. Please bring your own yoga mat to class. FREE! Wooldridge Park, 900 Guadalupe St, Austin.
- Water Safety Presentation and Story Time – Thursday, April 3 at 1:00 p.m. Information session for all parents, guardians, babysitters, grandparents, and/or homeowners with backyard pools. A very special guest “Josh the Otter” will help children learn more about water safety through an interactive story time. FREE! Lake Travis Community Library, 1938 Lohmans Crossing, Austin.
- Explorers Club: Crafty Kids (Cedar Park) – Thursday, April 3 at 3:30 p.m. Each Thursday, kids in grades K-5 meet to explore a set of rotating programs. This week it’s Crafty Kids. FREE! Cedar Park Library, 550 Discovery Blvd, Cedar Park.
- Lego Club (Kyle) – Thursday, April 3 at 4:30 p.m. All children going into first grade or higher are welcome to attend this hour of Lego building fun. FREE! Kyle Public Library, 550 Scott St, Kyle.
- Yappy Hour on the Patio – Thursday, April 3 from 5-7:00 p.m. Enjoy live music by Ryan Desiato on the dog-friendly patio. FREE! Whole Foods Domain, 11920 Domain Dr, Austin.
- Lego Lab – Thursday, April 3 at 5:30 p.m. With LEGO, you can build anything you can imagine and tell any story you can dream up. Come to the Lego Lab to hear, see, make, and create different stories, all while building with LEGOs provided by the Library. FREE! Recommended for ages 5 and up. APL – Ruiz Branch, 1600 Grove Blvd, Austin.
- Music on Main Street: Jonathan Fox Band (Round Rock) – Thursday, April 3 from 6-8:00 p.m. Bring a lawn chair or blanket and the entire family to hear country tunes by the Jonathan Fox Band. Visit the variety of dining options on Main Street or pack a picnic basket to enjoy the evening of fun and music. FREE! Prete Main Street Plaza, 221 E Main St, Round Rock.
- Live Music at Central Market Westgate – Thursday, April 3 from 6:30-9:00 p.m. The Jimi Lee Band is a blues R & B super group of veteran players fronted by the award winning harmonic virtuoso Jimi Lee. FREE! Central Market Westgate, 4477 S Lamar Blvd, Austin.
- Live Music at Central Market North – Thursday, April 3 from 6:30-9:00 p.m. Boss Street Brass Band plays New Orleans street funky rhythms. FREE! Central Market, 4001 N Lamar Blvd, Austin.
- Yoga Story Time – Friday, April 4 at 9:30 a.m. Join this Story Time Yoga adventure every Friday at 9:30. Participants will stretch, read and breathe. All ages are welcome. FREE! The Little Yoga House, 1211 Parkway, Austin.
- Interactive Story Time (Round Rock) – Friday, April 4 at 9:30 a.m. (0-18 months) and 10:30 a.m. (19 months – 4 years). Interactive story time gets little ones moving. From hopping around to one story to using scarves to animate another, everyone has a great time. FREE! BabyEarth, 106 E Old Settlers Blvd, Ste D100, Round Rock.
- Sweet ATX Grand Opening Party – Friday, April 4 from 10:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Celebrate with complimentary cake and coffee all day. The Chamber of Commerce ribbon cutting ceremony will happen between Noon and 1 p.m. FREE! Sweet, 2127 Lohmans Crossing, #310 Austin.
- Fun Fridays: The Que Pastas – Friday, April 4 at 10:00 a.m. Sing! Dance! Play! Fun Fridays is a fun musical and entertainment hour featuring local Austin musicians The Que Pastas. Complimentary refreshments will be served. FREE! Millie & Mox, 5145 North FM 620, Ste B110, Austin.
- Spanish Book Reading at Preescolarte – Friday, April 4 at 10:00 a.m. Join Ms. Susy and Ms. Aileen for Spanish books, Spanish songs, and some fun art. FREE! Preescolarte, 8305 W Hwy 71, Ste 100, Austin.
- Tiger Woman, A Puppet Show – Friday, April 4 at 10:15 a.m. Literature LIVE! presents Tiger Woman from the book by Laurence Yep, a Bunraku style puppet show based on a traditional Chinese story. This is the tale of a greedy old woman who will not share her food with a beggar; but when the old man turns out to be a wizard, he teaches her a lesson in generosity. Recommended for ages 5 and up. FREE! APL – Southeast Branch, 5803 Nuckols Crossing Rd, Austin.
- Armstrong Community Music School Sing-a-Long – Friday, April 4 at 10:30 a.m. Music educators from Armstrong Community Music School will lead a Sing-a-Long and everyone is invited. Get your clapping hands, tapping feet, and musical voices ready to join in the fun. FREE but please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org to save your seat. Brilliant Sky Toys & Books, 701 S Capital of Texas Hwy, Ste D-480, Austin.
- Williamson County Courthouse Tours (Georgetown) - Friday, April 4 at 1:30, 2:30 and 3:30 p.m. In celebration of the Williamson Museum’s 10th anniversary, FREE guided tours of the historic county courthouse will be offered on Fridays and Saturdays throughout February. Tours are free, last about 45 minutes and are handicapped accessible. Tours begin at The Williamson Museum, 716 S Austin Ave, Georgetown.
- Reading Dog – Friday, April 4 at 3:30 p.m. Handler Neel and Dog Joey will read with kiddos or visit with them. Pre-readers and readers are welcome. FREE! Westbank Library, 1309 Westbank Dr, Austin.
- Lego Lab – Friday, April 4 at 4:00 p.m. With LEGO, you can build anything you can imagine and tell any story you can dream up. Come to the Lego Lab to hear, see, make, and create different stories, all while building with LEGOs provided by the Library. FREE! Recommended for ages 5 and up.APL – North Village Branch, 2505 Steck Ave, Austin.
In her life before kids, Emily held jobs as a zookeeper, a middle school teacher, and a tour bus driver in the wilds of Montana–not one of which prepared her for the adventures of motherhood. Now she’s living the good life in Austin with her husband, two sons and a Great Dane. When she’s not off gallivanting with her boys, you might find Emily baking up a mean batch of cupcakes, recalling obscure 80s song lyrics, or dreaming of peace and quiet.