Happening all week long:
- Austin Trail of Lights – Monday, December 9 – Sunday, December 22 from 7 – 10 p.m. The Trail of Lights winds through 1.25 miles of Zilker Park. For two weeks in December, over 50 custom displays light up the night, bringing Austinites together to celebrate the season. Admission is FREE. Parking in Zilker Park is $15 and must be purchased in advance online. Shuttles are available for $3 per person. View transportation options. Zilker Park, 2100 Barton Springs Rd, Austin.
- Blue Genie Art Bazaar – Daily until December 24, from 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. All items at the bazaar have been handmade by local and regional artists that are selected through a rigorous jury process. The bazaar features the work of more than 130 artists that offer a wide variety of imaginative and beautiful gifts. You can expect to find paintings, photography, prints, sculptures, jewelry, clothing, accessories, glassworks, ceramics, and more. FREE admission and FREE parking! The Marchesa Hall & Theatre at Lincoln Village, 6226 Middle Fiskville Road, Austin.
- Rock ‘N Lights (Round Rock)- Sunday through Thursday from 6-9 p.m. and Friday, Saturday from 5-10p.m. Rock’N Lights Holiday Light Tour is back and bigger and brighter than ever! Come and experience the second annual Rock’N Lights Holiday Light Tour featuring all new displays and the new Christmas Towne at the Old Settlers Association. Rock’N Lights is a drive-through light show that features thousands of sparkling lights through Old Settlers Park from Dec. 2 to Dec. 31. With 2 million lights, the 1.5-mile path is the must-see event of the season. The 2013 show features all new displays and a longer light tunnel.
- Armadillo Christmas Bazaar- Starting on Tuesday, December 17 and running through December 24th, from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m., the 38th Annual Armadillo Christmas Bazaar will delight you with music, entertainment, food and drinks, all while shopping for Christmas presents handmade by over 160 artists. It’s a shopping experience and music festival that is not to be missed! Cost: $7, children 12 and under are free. Palmer Events Center, 900 Barton Springs Road.
- Baby Bloomers- Monday, December 16 from 9:00 a.m. to noon. Join us for stories, songs and activities designed for children ages three and under and their caregivers. Cost: Members $2.50 each / Non-Members $4.50 each. The Thinkery, 1830 Simond Ave.
- Kids Music Class with Mr. Will- Monday, December 16 at 10:00 – 10:45 a.m. Mr. Will’s popular music class now has a residency! Find him every Monday morning at the Buzz for a fun and interactive kid’s live music! FREE!! Whole Foods Bee Cave, 12601 Hill Country Blvd.
- Storytime at Brilliant Sky Toys & Books – Monday, December 16 at 11a.m. Miss Jessamine will captivate your child with a variety of stories and related crafts. FREE! Brilliant Sky Toys & Books, The Village at West Lake (360 and Bee Caves Rd), 701 S. Capital of Texas Hwy Suite D-480, Austin.
- Family Movie Night: Polar Express – Monday, December 16 at 4 p.m. On Christmas Eve, a doubting boy boards a magical train that’s headed to the North Pole and Santa Claus’ home. Cepeda Branch, 651 N. Pleasant Valley Road.
- Santa’s Workshop: Photo Keepsake- Tuesday, December 17 from 10-11 a.m. Story, art project, and game about Christmas. Cost: $15. Toybrary, 7817 Rockwood.
- Bilingual Storytime (Round Rock)- Tuesday, December 17 at 10:30 a.m. The Round Rock Public Library welcomes Natalie Kane of Semillitas de Español for a very special music-rich learning experience during this week’s Spanish Bilingual Storytime. This active, participatory program may run slightly longer than our normal 30-minute storytime program. It welcomes children from birth to age 5–a special treat for kids younger than our normal Bilingual program can accommodate. The regular program is geared for ages 3 and up and features a lively combination of stories, fingerplays, and songs. Both English and Spanish languages are featured. FREE!! Round Rock Public Library, 216 E. Main Street, Round Rock.
- Armstrong Community School Storytime- Tuesday, December 17 at 10:30 a.m. Come sing songs with Walter Tragert, one of the talented Early Childhood Development faculty members from the Armstrong Community School. Mr. Walter will engage your child with music and movement, plus he’ll read some stories for you too! This session is perfect for kids up to 6 years old. FREE!! BookPeople, 603 N. Lamar Blvd.
- Sing-A-Long with Staci Gray (Round Rock)- Tuesday, December 17 at 10:30 a.m. Come sing and dance in the bubbles with Staci and then enjoy this wonderful indoor playscape at this weekly event! Cost: $3.00 children 12-23 months, $7.50 children 24 months or older. Safari Champ, 1400 East Old Settlers Blvd, # 200, Round Rock.
- Music with Mr. Will at Brilliant Sky Toys & Books – Tuesday, December 17 at 11:30 a.m. Rock out with local children’s singer, “Mr. Will” Dupuy. FREE!! Brilliant Sky Toys & Books, The Village at West Lake (360 and Bee Caves Rd), 701 S. Capital of Texas Hwy Suite D-480, Austin.
- Lego Lab- Tuesday, December 17 at 11:15 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. With Legos, you can build anything you can imagine and tell any story you can dream up. Come to the Lego Lab to hear, see, make, and create different stories, all while building with Legos provided by the Library! FREE!! Recommended for ages 5 and up. Faulk Central Public Library, 800 Guadalupe Street.
- Free Time Play (Round Rock)- Tuesday, December 17 from 1:30- 3:00 p.m. If you are simply running from structured activity to structured activity and your kids are over scheduled with lessons, consider cutting back a little and adding in some free-time play! Every Tuesday from 1:30pm – 3:00pm, BabyEarth will set up our play area with a variety of blocks and toys for your little one to explore. FREE!! BabyEarth, 106 East Old Settlers Boulevard, Round Rock.
- Festival of Trees Viewing- Tuesday, December 17 from 4:30- 6:30 p.m. Ring in the holiday season with Christmas music, cookie decorating, hot chocolate, and beautiful trees, all wrapped up in a package just for you. Join the Carver staff and the Ambassadors for an afternoon of seasoned joy in the Drum (Lobby) at the Carver, with holiday music from the Nutcracker provided by our Keys of Life piano students. FREE!! Carver Museum and Cultural Center, 1165 Angelina Street.
- Discovery! Elf movie- Tuesday, December 17 at 4:30 p.m. Come join us for some ginormous holiday cheer as we watch the movie “Elf.” FREE!! Laura’s Library, 9411 Bee Cave Road.
- Westlake High School Choir Carols- Tuesday, December 17 at 6:00 p.m. Get in the holiday spirit with the Westlake High School Choir as they sing Christmas Carols on the front porch of Westbank. Stick around afterwards for pajama storytime, starting at 6:30 p.m. FREE!! Westbank Library, 1309 Westbank Drive.
- Gingerbread House Make and Take- Tuesday, December 17 at 6:00 p.m. Make a gingerbread house with us and take it with you! Join us for a sweet holiday class, featuring the expertise of our Bakery Team Leader. Cost: $30. Whole Foods, 525 N. Lamar Blvd.
- A Christmas Story- Tuesday, December 17 at 7:30 p.m. Based on the classic holiday film, young Ralphie and his quest for the Red Rider B.B. Gun comes to delightful life on stage! Visions of pink bunny suits, tongues stuck on flagpoles, turkey loving dogs and Pop’s beloved fishnet leg lamp will make all your family’s Christmas sugar-plum wishes come true. Cost: tickets start at $60. ZACH Theatre, 1510 Toomey Road.
- Whole Foods Storytime- Wednesday, December 18 from 9-10:30 am. Enjoy a storytime that includes a FREE story reading, an activity, and a snack! All ages are welcome, and parents can participate, too! Whole Foods, 525 N. Lamar Blvd.
- Music with Mar- Wednesday, December 18 at 9:15 a.m. Music with Mar is a class where a caregiver and child (ages birth through preschool) participate together in musical activities. These classes are focused on the four main areas of development – cognitive, social, motor and language. Classes are drop-in, so no advance sign-up needed. The class costs $7, payable directly to Angie, the class leader. BabyEarth Round Rock Store, 106 East Old Settlers Boulevard, Round Rock.
- Whole Foods Arbor Trails Kids Club- Wednesday, December 18 at 9:00 a.m. Join us for Story time and a craft every Wednesday with Gracie. FREE!! Whole Foods, 4301 W. William Cannon, Bldg B, Ste 800.
- Tiny Tails To You Storytime- Wednesday, December 18 at 10:30 a.m. If you’re a fan of chinchillas, bunnies, ducklings, guinea pigs, chickens, AND stories then you’re in luck! Today our friends from Tiny Tails to You will be reading stories and introducing some of the cutest, softest, most adorable little creatures in Austin! What a wonderful way to make new friends. FREE!! BookPeople, 603 N. Lamar Blvd.
- Holiday Bubble Show with Staci Gray (Round Rock)- Wednesday, December 18 from 10:30- 11:15 a.m. The Round Rock Public Library welcomes back Staci Gray with a Holiday Bubble Show for kids of all ages. We are grateful to Kaleidoscope Toys for bringing this fantastic event to the Library. FREE!! Round Rock Public Library, 216 E. Main Street, Round Rock.
- Barnes and Noble Storytime- Wednesday, December 18, times vary by location. All ages. FREE!! Barnes and Noble, La Frontera Village, 2701 Parker Road Bldg A Suite 700, Round Rock; Lakeline Crossing, 14010 US Hwy. 183; Sunset Valley Village, 5601 Brodie Lane Suite 300.
- Live Music at The Driskill- Wednesday, December 18 from 5-7 p.m. Ring in the holidays with seasonal music from Austin’s own Arundel Ensemble String Quartet. Everyone welcome! FREE!! The Driskill Hotel, 604 Brazos Street.
- Community Night at the Thinkery- Wednesday, December 18 from 5-8 p.m. Science and families play side by side. Every Wednesday the Museum stays open late for families to discover new ideas and learn together. Enjoy the exhibits and educational programs are facilitated by the staff. MAKE and DO together at Community Night! Admission is by donation only, with a suggested $1 dollar donation. The Thinkery, 1830 Simond Ave.
- Family Night at Krispy Kreme – Wednesday, December 18, from 6 – 8 p.m. Kids are invited to get a FREE doughnut, which they can frost and sprinkle themselves. Families can also enjoy arts and crafts. Both Austin locations (12586 Research Blvd and 701 E. Stassney) and the San Marcos location (121 N. IH-35).
- A Christmas Story- Wednesday, December 18 at 7:30 p.m. Based on the classic holiday film, young Ralphie and his quest for the Red Rider B.B. Gun comes to delightful life on stage! Visions of pink bunny suits, tongues stuck on flagpoles, turkey loving dogs and Pop’s beloved fishnet leg lamp will make all your family’s Christmas sugar-plum wishes come true. Cost: tickets start at $60. ZACH Theatre, 1510 Toomey Road.
- Spanish Storytime: Christmas Traditions in Mexico- Thursday, December 19 at 10:30 a.m. Join Ms. Ann for a special Spanish storytime. As the holidays get closer, learn all about Christmas traditions in Mexico. FREE!! Westbank Library, 1309 Westbank Drive.
- Mama Singer Songwriter Series – Thursday, December 19, from 10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Bring your kiddos, grab a cup of coffee and make some new friends! Take a breather from the holiday madness and relax listening to the great music of Alyse Black. FREE!! Central Market North, 4001 North Lamar, Austin.
- School-Age Holiday Show: Flying Theater Machine- Thursday, December 19 from 3:30- 4:15 p.m. Join us for a special show of holiday tales – improv style! The Flying Theatre Machine will present a special holiday show with their unique brand of improv comedy. For kids in grades K-5. FREE!! Cedar Park Public Library, 550 Discovery Blvd., Cedar Park.
- Holiday Party- Thursday, December 19 at 3:30 p.m. Come celebrate with holiday stories, songs and crafts. Say hello and take a picture with Santa Claus! Pictures are FREE! Little Walnut Creek Branch Library, 835 W. Rundberg Lane.
- Live Music at The Driskill- Thursday, December 19 from 5-7 p.m. Ring in the holidays with seasonal music from Austin’s own Arundel Ensemble String Quartet. Everyone welcome! FREE!! The Driskill Hotel, 604 Brazos Street.
- Night Before Christmas Break with Santa- Thursday, December 19 from 5:30- 8:00 p.m.Children ages 1-12 are welcome to come play Christmas themed games and talk with Santa. Participants will also receive a snack after visiting with Santa. FREE!! Metz Recreation Center, 2407 Canterbury Street.
- Christmas Gift Giveaway & Festival- Thursday , December 19 from 6-8 p.m. Please join Dove Springs Recreation Center for our Christmas Gift Giveaway and Festival. FREE!! Dove Springs Recreation Center, 5801 Ainez Drive.
- Live Music at Central Market- Thursday, December 19 from 6:30- 9 p.m. The Blues R&B Christmas. Matthew Robinson’s hollow-body guitar tone is warm and fat, his playing is fluid and expressive. This will be a special holiday show with plenty of humor running through his blues. FREE admission, free music and play. All you need to buy is dinner. Central Market, 4001 N. Lamar Blvd.
- A Christmas Story- Thursday, December 19 at 7:30 p.m. Based on the classic holiday film, young Ralphie and his quest for the Red Rider B.B. Gun comes to delightful life on stage! Visions of pink bunny suits, tongues stuck on flagpoles, turkey loving dogs and Pop’s beloved fishnet leg lamp will make all your family’s Christmas sugar-plum wishes come true. Cost: tickets start at $60. ZACH Theatre, 1510 Toomey Road.
- Light Up the Season- Friday, December 20, from 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. An all-day event with lots of holiday fun for the family! We’ll kick it off with a special storytime to make you feel chilly, even if it turns out to be 72 degrees! We are honored to have the Austin Recorders Group to play in the morning and The Tapestry Singers, Austin’s Women’s Choir from 6-7 PM. Join us for crafting ornaments, snow globes, snuggly pillows, and more. Come see some fun 16MM movies, too! We’ll watch Mickey’s Christmas Carol, How the Grinch Stole Christmas and The Snowman. Don’t miss the opportunity to see these classics in a nostalgic format. We will also be showing Elf with Will Ferrell in the afternoon. There will be hot cider, cocoa and cookies galore! FREE!! North Village Branch, 2505 Steck Ave.
- Storytime Art- Friday December 20 from 10:45 – 11:45 a.m. Storytime Art, or StArt! is a great opportunity for your young child to experience art! Storytimes are geared to the 3 – 5 year old preschooler, but some projects could easily translate into a Mommy and Me project for those a little younger. And, of course, anyone older is welcome, as well! Storytimes always include at least one book and a related art project, but often include surprises like songs, poems, crafts and coloring pages. Cost: $12 per child. Art Garage, 11190 Circle Drive, Austin.
- Storytime with Santa- Friday, December 20 from 10:30 a.m. to noon. Come out to Northwest Recreation Center for Story Time with Santa! Wear your favorite pajamas and enjoy a snack of milk and cookies while listening to a winter classic. Don’t forget your camera to take pictures with Santa. This event is designed for walking toddlers to children 5 years of age. Cost: $2.50. Northwest Recreation Center, 2913 Northland Drive.
- Muppet Christmas Carol – Friday, December 20 at 4 p.m. Bring a blanket and a pillow, the library will provide popcorn and lemonade! Laura’s Library, 9411 Bee Cave Rd.
- A Christmas Story- Friday, December 20 at 7:30 p.m. Based on the classic holiday film, young Ralphie and his quest for the Red Rider B.B. Gun comes to delightful life on stage! Visions of pink bunny suits, tongues stuck on flagpoles, turkey loving dogs and Pop’s beloved fishnet leg lamp will make all your family’s Christmas sugar-plum wishes come true. Cost: tickets start at $60. ZACH Theatre, 1510 Toomey Road.