Happening all week
- Ice Skating on the Plaza – Monday, January 6 – Saturday, January 11 from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Enjoy ice skating on the rooftop of Whole Foods’ downtown store. Cost: $10 per person, covers your skating until you leave the rink for the day. Whole Foods, 525 N Lamar Blvd, Austin.
- Balance Dance Studios Open House – Monday, January 6 – Saturday January 11. Explore new youth & adult dance classes at Balance Dance Studios for FREE during their open house week. View youth class schedule. View adult class schedule. Balance Dance Studios, 4454 S Lamar Blvd, Bldg 200, Austin.
- Free Admission to Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center – Tuesday, January 7 – Saturday, January 11 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday, January 12 from Noon to 5 p.m. Enjoy all the center has to offer for FREE including indoor art exhibits, store, café and Little House for kids. Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, 4801 La Crosse Ave, Austin.
- Baby Bloomers - Monday, January 6 from 9 a.m. to Noon. Baby Bloomers is an opportunity for children age 0-3 and their families to experience the Thinkery together in an environment focused on early learners. Guided activities like Storytime, Sing-alongs, and Little Explorers Lab time are designed to engage the youngest visitors in fun learning and investigation. Cost: Members $2.50 each / Non-Members $4.50 each. All people attending, regardless of age, must purchase a ticket. The Thinkery, 1830 Simond Ave, Austin.
- Making Literacy Accessible: StorySign Storytime – Monday, January 6 at 10:15 a.m. Storytime featuring an American Sign Language storyteller, signed and vocal songs and fingerplays, and a craft activity. FREE! Twin Oaks Branch Library, 1800 S Fifth St, Austin.
- Storytime at Brilliant Sky Toys & Books – Monday, January 6 at 11 a.m. FREE! Brilliant Sky Toys & Books, The Village at West Lake (360 and Bee Caves Rd), 701 S. Capital of Texas Hwy Suite D-480, Austin.
- Free-Time Play (Round Rock) – Monday, January 6 from 3:30-4:30 p.m. BabyEarth will set up their play area with a variety of blocks and toys for your little one to explore and experience some unstructured play time. FREE! BabyEarth Round Rock Store, 106 E Old Settlers Blvd, Round Rock.
- French Legation Museum Children’s Storytime – Tuesday, January 7 at 10 a.m. Gather on the French Legation Museum grounds for Children’s Story Time–an exciting 30 minutes of reading and play. Feel free to bring snacks, blankets, and your imagination. FREE! French Legation Museum, 802 San Marcos St, Austin.
- Bilingual Storytime with Ann Benson – Tuesday, January 7 at 10:30 a.m. Ann Benson, Founder/Director of Somos Amigos, will lead a very special storytime featuring several Spanish editions of the enormously popular author & illustrator Eric Carle! Eric Carle’s books are perfect for introducing the Spanish language to young children with few words, bright images and exciting storylines! Ms. Benson will also weave in wonderful traditional and original songs that will help bring the text to life for you and your child. FREE! BookPeople, 603 N Lamar, Austin.
- Free Admission to Laguna Gloria – Tuesday, January 7 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Laguna Gloria, 3809 West 35th St, Austin.
- Free Admission to The Jones Center – Tuesday, January 7 from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. The Jones Center, 700 Congress Ave, Austin.
- LEGO Mini Model Build – Tuesday, January 7 at 5:00 p.m. Learn how to build a cool mini snowplow model, and take it home – for FREE! One per child. Event is open to children ages 6 to 14 only. Quantities are limited to approximately 250 per store and offer is good while supplies last only. LEGO Store, Barton Creek Square, 2901 S Capital of Texas Hwy, Austin.
- Crafty Crew – Tuesday, January 7 at 6:30 p.m. Join Ms. Kristi for a seasonal craft that is fun for kids of all ages. FREE! Westbank Community Library, 1309 Westbank Dr, Austin.
- Whole Foods Arbor Trails Kids Club – Wednesday, January 8 at 9:00 a.m. Story time and a craft with Gracie. FREE! Whole Foods, 4301 W. William Cannon, Bldg B, Ste 800, Austin.
- Baby Signs Story Time – Wednesday, January 8 at 10:30 a.m. January is a great month to talk about the weather so come meet Tina Cavanaugh and BeeBo™ the Baby Signs® Bear and learn some ASL weather signs. Bring your babies, toddlers and older children for a fun time with books and songs and fun activities that help reinforce these signs. FREE! BookPeople, 603 N Lamar, Austin.
- Lego Lab – Wednesday, January 8 at 3:00 p.m. (Southeast Branch) and at 4:00 p.m. (Carver Branch). With LEGO, you can build anything you can imagine and tell any story you can dream up. Come to the Lego Lab to hear, see, make, and create different stories, all while building with LEGO provided by the Library! FREE! Recommended for ages 5 and up. Southeast Branch Library, 5803 Nuckols Crossing Rd, Austin / Carver Branch Library, 1161 Angelina St, Austin.
- Community Night at The Thinkery – Wednesday, January 8 from 5-8:00 p.m. At the Thinkery, science and families play side by side. Every Wednesday the Museum stays open late for families to discover new ideas and learn together. Cost: Admission is by donation only, with a suggested $1 dollar donation. The Thinkery, 1830 Simond Ave, Austin.
- Krispy Kreme Family Night – Wednesday, January 8 from 6-8:00 p.m. Kids can decorate one FREE doughnut each, plus enjoy crafts, balloons, paper hats, coloring sheets and more. Krispy Kreme, 701 E Stassney Ln and 12586 Research Blvd, Austin.
- Family Laughter Yoga – Wednesday, January 8 at 6:30 – 7:30 p.m. Join Laughter Leader Lynne West for this fun and invigorating session. Adults and children will laugh, clap, play, breath deeply and stretch their bodies gently. FREE! Laura’s Library, 9411 Bee Cave Rd, Austin.
- Free Admission to The Blanton – Thursday, January 9 from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. FREE! Blanton Museum of Art, 200 E Martin Luther King Junior Blvd, Austin.
- Little Yoga – Thursday, January 9 at 10:30 a.m. This 30-minute class allows children 3 to 6 years old to experience exercise in a mellow environment. Children and their adults will practice breathing and age appropriate stretching. FREE! Lake Travis Community Library, 1938 Lohmans Crossing, Austin.
- Noon Concert – Thursday, January 9 at Noon. Take a lunchtime break to enjoy the music of Dr. Timothy Woolsey on piano. FREE! Central Presbyterian Church, 200 E 8th St, Austin.
- Explorer’s Club (Cedar Park) – Thursday, January 9 at 3:30 p.m. Kids in grades K-5 meet to explore Super Science. FREE! Cedar Park Library, 550 Discovery Blvd, Cedar Park.
- Mario Kart Wii Tournament – Thursday, January 9 at 5:00 p.m. Something for the whole family! Recommended for ages 6 and up. Adults are welcome to compete. FREE! Manchaca Road Branch Library, 5500 Manchaca Rd, Austin.
- Will Dupuy Live at The Buzz – Thursday, January 9 from 6-8:00 p.m. FREE! Whole Foods Bee Cave, 12601 Hill Country Blvd, Austin.
- Interactive Story Time (Round Rock) – Friday, January 10 at 9:30 a.m. (for 0-18 months) and at 10:30 a.m. (for 18 months – 3 years). This interactive story time gets little ones moving. Kiddos will read books, sing songs, jam out with musical instruments, play with a parachute, and pop bubbles. FREE! BabyEarth, 106 E Old Settlers Blvd, Ste D100, Round Rock.
- Book Collector’s RAVE – Friday, January 10 from Noon to 6:00 p.m. Recycled Reads, the Austin Public Library’s used bookstore, is hosting a RAVE (Rare, Art Vintage, and Ephemera) sale, featuring Texana, cookbooks, children’s books, classics, maps, framed art, and miscellaneous collectibles for sale. FREE! Recycled Reads, 5335 Burnet Rd, Austin.
- Williamson County Courthouse Tours (Georgetown) - Friday, January 10 at 1:30, 2:30 and 3:30 p.m. In celebration of the Williamson Museum’s 10th anniversary, FREE guided tours of the historic county courthouse will be offered on Fridays and Saturdays throughout January. Tours are FREE, last about 45 minutes and are handicapped accessible. Tours begin at The Williamson Museum, 716 S Austin Ave, Georgetown.
Check out the Free Fun Calendar for even more ways to fill your week with fun.
In her life before kids, Emily held jobs as a zookeeper, a middle school teacher, and a tour bus driver in the wilds of Montana–not one of which prepared her for the adventures of motherhood. Now she’s living the good life in Austin with her husband, two sons and a Great Dane. When she’s not off gallivanting with her boys, you might find Emily baking up a mean batch of cupcakes, recalling obscure 80s song lyrics, or dreaming of peace and quiet.