- Austin Insect Rodeo Expo – Saturday, November 9, from 9 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. Termite NASCAR is just one of many activities for children at the Austin Insect Rodeo Expo, a FREE event at the Bullock Texas State History Museum. This educational event will reinforce students’ science skills with hands-on activities. Hosted by the Entomological Foundation and the Entomological Society of America, the Austin Insect Rodeo Expo will feature Maggot Art, an Insect Petting Zoo, a Pollination Station, Honey Tasting, an Insect Cafe, Termite NASCAR, games, prizes, crafts, and more. Bullock Texas State History Museum, 1800 N. Congress Ave, Austin.
- Alamo Kids Camp – Saturday, November 9 and Sunday, November 10. Alamo Kids Camp movie screenings for children age 3 and up. Tickets for the FREE movies will be available at the box office on the day of the show and seating will be first come, first served. Times vary by location. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (Alamo Village), Shrek (Alamo Slaughter Lane), and Chicken Run (Alamo Lakeline).
- Leer y Crear Bilingual Storytime – Saturday, November 9 at 10:30 a.m. The Emma S. Barrientos Mexican American Cultural Center is proud to offer Leer y Crear, a bilingual story time for families. At each program, a MACC instructor will read a story and lead participants in a themed activity that relates to the book. This program is FREE and all ages are welcome. ESB-MACC, 600 River St, Austin.
- Austin Animal Shelter Free Family Fall Festival – Saturday, November 9, from 11 a.m. – 4 p.m. The FREE fun-filled day will include food, drinks, prizes and free pet adoptions. Austin Animal Center, 7201 Levander Loop at Highway 183 and Airport Boulevard, Austin.
- Close Assault at Camp Mabry - Saturday, November 9 and Sunday, November 10. Showtimes at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. Rain or shine. FREE admission. FREE parking. Must present photo I.D. to enter Camp Mabry. Texas Military Forces Museum, 35th Street, west of Mopac, Austin.
- Rebate Austin! – Saturday, November 9, from 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. Rebate Austin! is the Austin Public Library’s one stop shop for folks to come and learn about all the amazing rebates and FREE programs our city offers! The Library will also be giving away freebies, door prizes and coffee to all. FREE Taco Deli breakfast tacos will be provided for the first 40 guests. North Village Branch, 2505 Steck Avenue, Austin.
- Make a Difference Day Concert – Saturday, November 9 at 3 p.m. The lovely voices of St. David’s ‘Joyful Noise’ Youth Choir will join with the talented students of Patches King’s piano studio to present a concert as a part of Make a Difference Day, a national community service event. With works from Duke Ellington to J.S. Bach, the young musicians will offer this delightful program to benefit our homeless neighbors through St. David’s Trinity Center. Admission is FREE with an unwrapped donation of any of the following items for women: white tube socks (all sizes), knit hats, scarves, gloves, and hygiene kits (travel-sized toothpaste, toothbrush, shampoo, etc.). Complimentary parking is available in St. David’s garage located at 8th and Trinity Streets. St. David’s Episcopal Church, Bethell Hall, 301 East 8th St, Austin.
- CANstruction - Saturday, November 9. Teams from Austin’s architect, engineering and building community will come together on Saturday at Barton Creek Square Mall for the annual CANstruction competition. Starting at 8 a.m., you can watch 14 amazing structures created with cans come to life. Completed structures will be on display through the week until November 17. Barton Creek Square Mall, 2901 S Capital of Texas Hwy, Austin.
- Movie in the Park: Justice League – Saturday, November 9 at 7 p.m. Enjoy a FREE movie in the park! Patterson Park, 1601 Wilshire Blvd, Austin.
- ImprovEd Shakespeare’s Hamlet - Sunday, November 10 at 5 p.m. and again at 6:30 p.m. “To be or not to be….” So, you think you know the story of “Hamlet?” Join a troupe of kids as they mix Shakespeare’s verse and modern narration in this rousing tale of ghosts, love, revenge and angst. Performed by a Company of youth players (3rd-8th grade), ImprovEd will help you “get” Shakespeare. All performances are FREE. Boyd Vance Theatre, Carver Cultural Center, 1165 Angelina St, Austin.
Bonus fun in the ‘burbs:
- Star Party (Round Rock) – Friday, November 8, from 5:30 – 9:45 p.m. Educational and family friendly! From 5:30-8:30 p.m., there will be hands-on science activities for kids and the Discovery Dome, Austin Planetarium’s mobile planetarium shows for all ages. At 7 p.m., there will be a public talk by Dr. Jim Heath of ACC Astronomy. From 8-9:45 p.m., the deck will be open for guided viewing of the night sky over Round Rock. FREE and open to the public. ACC Round Rock Campus, 4400 College Park Dr, Round Rock.
- Pretty in Pink (Round Rock) – Friday, November 8 at 7 p.m. The City of Round Rock presents a FREE showing of Pretty in Pink in Prete Main Street Plaza. Bring your lawn chair or blanket. Prete Main Street Plaza, 221 E. Main Street, Round Rock.
- Veterans Day Car Show (Bastrop) – Saturday, November 9, 2013. Join over 200 car enthusiasts in Bastrop, The Most Historic Small Town in Texas, for the 8th Annual Veterans Weekend Car Show. This judged show offers trophies, raffles, and cash prizes. In addition, you are invited to join in the Veterans Walk and Ceremony honoring veterans of all branches of service past and present. The event will kick off the night before, on Friday, November 8, with a drive-in movie at dusk in Fisherman’s Park, located on the banks of the Colorado River. Sit in your car, tune your radio to the drive-in station for audio, and watch an oldie-but-goodie on a huge outdoor screen. Refreshments will be available. For more information, call 512-303-0558. Historic Downtown Bastrop.
- Veterans Day Parade (San Marcos) – Saturday, November 9, from 8:30 a.m. – noon. Free breakfast at 8:30 a.m., kids’ bike brigade at 9 a.m., performances from 8:30 – 10 a.m., and the main parade at 10 a.m. Courthouse Lawn, Downtown San Marcos.
- Baby U: Getting Ready for Baby (Round Rock) – Saturday, November 9, from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. The BabyEarth store in Round Rock has created a full day of workshops to get you ready for baby! Whether you are just thinking about pregnancy or approaching your due date, you will leave with a tremendous amount of information. Enjoy informative seminars, interactive Q&A and hands-on experience. Plus, you will have a chance to enter a special raffle to win amazing prizes! FREE, but register online to get a FREE gift bag. BabyEarth, 106 E Old Settlers Blvd, Round Rock.
- Holiday Bazaar (Round Rock) - Saturday, November 9, from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. A variety of vendors will be present for you to start shopping for unique and handcrafted items. Admission is FREE, but shoppers are encouraged to bring a canned food donation for the Round Rock Food Pantry. Clay Madsen Recreation Center, 1600 Gattis School Road, Round Rock.
- Veterans Memorial Day Parade & Ceremony (Cedar Park) – Saturday, November 9, from 9:30 a.m. – noon. Honor our veterans and show your patriotic pride at the Veterans Memorial Ceremony and Parade. Please bring blankets or lawn chairs, as seating is limited. Veterans Memorial Park, 2525 W. New Hope Dr, Cedar Park.
- Veterans Day Event for Kids (Georgetown) - Saturday, November 9, from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. What is a veteran and why do we celebrate these Americans? Learn what veterans have done to support our community locally and nationally. Recognize veterans in your family by making them their very own medal. This program is free for all ages. The Williamson Museum, 716 S. Austin Avenue, Georgetown.
- Neighborhood Toy Store Day (Round Rock) – Saturday, November 9, from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. Kaleidoscope Toys will join over 600 stores across the country to celebrate the Third Annual Neighborhood Toy Store Day. Visit the store for crafts, face painting with Faces by Juliet (until 1:30 p.m.), and Spin the Prize Wheel for your chance at tons of prizes by Alex, Orb Factory, and more! Kaleidoscope Toys, 110 N IH 35, Ste 375, Round Rock.
- Grand Opening of the Bee Cave Sculpture Park (Bee Cave) – Saturday, November 9, from 2 – 5 p.m. The Bee Cave Sculpture Park will showcase eleven original sculptures displayed in a natural setting. This unique park covers seven acres and features a large spring-fed pond, over twenty-five species of native plants and some of the largest oak trees in the area. The community is invited to the Grand Opening ceremony at 2:00 p.m., followed by Mayor Murphy’s ribbon cutting and Queen Bee dedication at 2:15. Activities continuing till 5 p.m. include Sculpture Stroll, Meet the Artists, live entertainment, refreshments, and children’s activities. 13333 Highway 71 Bee Cave.
Bonus budget-friendly fun:
- LEGO Architecture Design Competition - Saturday, November 9, from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. Every second Saturday of the month, The Contemporary Austin offers hands-on art-making workshops at Laguna Gloria, inspired by the exhibitions on view. Recommended for ages 2–11. At Saturday’s event, drop in and create at the LEGO Architecture Design Competition. Create a funky castle, modern high rise, or minimalist house, and meet LEGO celebrity Evan Bacon, guest judge for the day. Come early to stretch out with Bea Love’s outdoor yoga at 11 a.m. $10 per family. Laguna Gloria, 3809 West 35th Street, Austin.
- Art From the Streets – Saturday, November 9 and Sunday, November 10, from noon – 5 p.m. See more than 2,000 new works by homeless and formerly homeless artists at this annual show and sale. $5 suggested donation at the door. Austin Convention Center, 500 East Cesar Chavez Street, Austin.
- YMCA Fall Festival (Cedar Park) - Saturday, November 9 from 12 – 9 p.m. Kids who are 3 years and younger enter for FREE. For everyone else, admission is $8 per person at the gate. Activities included with admission are: inflatables, hay rides, petting zoo, super slide, Pedestal Joust, Superhero Obstacle, climbing tower, midway carnival games, Kiddie Carnival (8 years and younger), and a vendor fair. YMCA Camp Twin Lakes, 204 E Little Elm Trail, Cedar Park.
- Snout by Snoutwest - Sunday, November 10, from noon – 4 p.m. Snout by Snoutwest will bring families and their friendly dogs out for competitions, demonstrations, and information from vendors and dog services. Pet-free humans will also be welcome. Rescue groups and local shelters will display dogs in need. $5 for Adults, FREE for kids and dogs! JCC Austin, Soccer Fields, 7300 Hart Lane, Austin.
[author] [author_image timthumb=’on’]http://www.livemom.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Picture-2.png[/author_image] [author_info]Heidi Gollub loves exploring Austin and beyond with her 5 kids. For more local adventures for families, visit FreeFuninAustin.com. [/author_info] [/author]